Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Thoughts on the Eve of Ironman Texas

I'm leaving with Janet in the morning to drive down to outside of Houston, Texas, to check in for our first Ironman. The Inaugural Texas Ironman. Six months ago I felt like I had all the time in the world to train for this event. Three months ago it felt like time was standing still and it would never come. Last week I started freaking out that I hadn't done enough training and I may perish on the streets of The Woodlands, TX. Wow! The journey really is the destination. No matter what happens this Saturday morning, I know that Janet and I have grown as athletes, bonded as deeper friends, pushed our personal barriers past even our own imagination and really enjoyed all the miles we have covered together and apart over the last few months.

My thoughts turn to 30+ years of distance running and all the marathons I have done in the last 12 years; and I realize that they have prepared me for the race ahead by allowing me a glance into the depth of my soul. Let's face it, the race really happens in your head. It is a constant battle between the urge to stop so your pain goes away and the mental push to keep going because pain is temporary and the finish line is forever!

Good Luck to everyone who is racing this weekend. I will leave you with two thoughts and a short prayer:

Two Great Quotes for Endurance Athletes:

The race is not only to the swift, but to those that keep on running....Anonymous

Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never dreamed ourselves to own; sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push through the obstruction.... William James

The Triathlete’s Prayer

Oh God, you have taught us to compete with perseverance the race that is set before us.

Give me good courage to run this race to the finish.

Be with me when I am in the water and on the land, so that I may feel your presence in all things

In wind and in weather, in the beauty and the magnificence of nature in the passing scene and in the health and rigor of my body straining to meet this challenge.

May I compete in this race in a way that brings honor to You, myself and those with whom I compete.

When I finish the race, may I do so humbly and should I not finish may I accept it with equal grace knowing that I have done my best.

Thank you Lord for giving me the courage to tri.

Amen.

No comments: