Saturday, January 7, 2012

What are Your Plans for 2012?

I ran a great half marathon this weekend in Grapevine, Texas. Bold in the Cold Half was put on by the Lake Grapevine Runners and Walkers as a celebration of the 15 year anniversary of the club. Fun was had by all. It’s crazy to me to think that I’ve actually been a member of LGRAW for 14 years!! Love this club! Such a great crowd and it was fabulous to see so many of my patients and even my staff members running one of the races (5K, 15K or Half-marathon).

My time was not memorable since I’ve been a little lazy and working too much during the holiday season, but what was memorable was the joy of running with so many others that truly enjoy the ability to get up early on a Saturday morning and challenge themselves. I was talking non-stop during the whole race (shocking) and cheering for all the other runners as the course had the whole field criss crossing each other several times. The pure joy of running was palpable. It reminded me why I love this sport!!

In the afterglow of such a day, it’s time to sit down and hammer out my athletic goals for 2012. I’m already signed up for Ironman Mont Tremblant in Quebec in August. I also have New Orleans 70.3 in April and Buffalo Springs 70.3 in June. I’m thinking we should sprinkle in some shorter races in the spring then pick a fall marathon. Perhaps New York? Maybe Kansas City? Send me your thoughts.....

Remember, a goal not written down is a mere wish; so take a few minutes and think about what you want to accomplish in 2012. Perhaps a PR? Perhaps a new distance? perhaps your first triathlon? I want to finish a full ironman and not require an IV! I also want to PR at the 70.3 distance. I would also like to run a quality marathon under 4 hours, since I haven’t broken 4 in 5 years!!

Take the time, write it down and make a plan. You will thank me later!

1 comment:

Patricia Parker said...

Wish you a very happy 2012. May God bless you with all that is good. My wishes and prayers for you.
Keep posting. :)
nyc sports medicine