Tuesday, September 23, 2014

What If Everyone Ran?


Mizuno launched a study at UNC Business School on the potential impact of a national running movement or essentially they asked the question, "What if everyone ran?" 

Published in March 2014, it has been an internet phenomenon and yet it seems that even though the numbers of runners are increasing; it's not happening at the rate you would expect when reading this report. 

I decided that I will summarize each statistic in my blog to try to influence as many people as I can to start an exercise program. This is not an endorsement of Mizuno, in fact Brooks are my running shoes of choice, but I love what they are doing and I wanted to share.

Hmmm...What if everyone did run?

For those people who are too impatient to wait for my musings each week, click here to read the report.

Here is the executive summary straight from the study:


The analysis suggests that if everyone was a runner there could be:

  • $130 billion in health care savings
  • $47 billion added to the national GDP
  • Nearly 2 billion pounds of total weight loss
  • 10 percent increase in household earning potential
  • 5 million fewer hospital visits
  • Up to 46 percent fewer homeless
  • 20 million more great grandmothers
  • 7 billion more hours spent outside
  • 63 million happier dogs
  • 135 million more victory beers
Over the next few weeks we can explore how this is possible.....together.....and then we can discuss it on the run!!!


No comments: