Sunday, October 24, 2010

A Halloween Triathlon as the "Tri-Fairy"

Whew! What a weekend! The Dallas Athletes put on a great Halloween party at the Monster Triathlon in Keller, Texas this fine Sunday morning. After severe weather yesterday afternoon, the weather had cleared up to be perfect for racing. The start was in the beautiful Keller natatorium where the water is always a balmy 81 degrees. A lovely hilly ride (hills for Texas) through Bear Creek and finished with a run through the nature trails. What more could you ask for? (Maybe next year we could start at 9am instead of 7? Ha ha)

This year, I have been running long course triathlon and concentrating on the 70.3 distance, so frankly I was in no shape to race a fast sprint. I decided to have fun with the day and put on my costume. I was the “Tri-fairy” because it turns out they don’t make a Tinkerbelle costume in my size. I borrowed wings, a crown, and a magic wand from Sasha, my 4-year-old, and got a black tutu from Target. Add to that some ribbon on my hot pink bike and my costume was ready!

Tom was the race starter in his Burger King costume and we were officially under way. It’s amazing how triathletes really do come in all shapes and sizes! The youngest one I saw was 10 and the oldest at 78. Tall, thin and muscular all the way to looking like a small Sumo wrestler. It’s great to see so many people (almost 700) celebrating fitness and pushing the envelope.

The race is a favorite among the local tri-heads, but it also tends to draw a lot of first timers. My office administrator, Lori, was a newbie this morning. Not only did she push herself hard and do fantastic, but she finished in a virtual tie with me! I see many more triathlons in her future!

As for my race, I had a nice swim and was only run over by three guys. Got my costume on and went for a nice bike ride with 700 of my closest friends. Lots of comments when you are biking in a tutu with a crown affixed to your helmet and pink wings on your back!

Off the bike and on to the run! Tom announced as I went by the finish line that “This is Dr Crane, she treats feet and halitosis”. Very funny Tom! I only treat halitosis if your foot is in your mouth!!

Lori passed me on the run as I was jogging along giving lots of fairy dust to other runners with my magic wand. I sped up as she past me and finished just a few steps behind her! A good time was had by all!

Now it’s time to get busy and build some base for the winter s we can tackle the Inaugural Texas Ironman in May 2011. Tune back for updates from Janet and I on the road to Ironman Texas!

Run Happy!

No comments: