Saturday, November 27, 2010

Why Is The Ability To Be Truly Thankful and Happy Elusive To So Many?

This Thanksgiving weekend I sit back and reflect on how thankful I am for all the blessings I have in my life. I have a wonderful family with three healthy and happy girls. My oldest two even did their first triathlon this fall with me. I am blessed with healthy and happy 70+ year old parents who support me and my girls in all our crazy endeavors. I have siblings, who think I’m nuts, but would cross the globe to help me. I have amazing and creative friends who have circled the wagons every time I needed them. I am blessed to be loved by a caring, thoughtful and selfless man who treats me like a princess. I have an unbelievably rewarding and fulfilling career in a profession that not only supports my family, but fulfills my need to be needed and useful in other people’s lives. And I enjoy the ability to run, jump and play (as well as swim and bike) with all my friends and the rest of the crazy marathon running, triathlon trying community. I am truly blessed and remember that daily.

Why is that peace so elusive to so many? I think Blake Mycoskie, the founder of TOM’s shoes and one of my personal heroes, hit the nail on the head in his Thanksgiving blog post, “This Thanksgiving, try to really stop. Sit still. Hold a loved one's hand, and simply be thankful. No matter what your situation, positive or negative, sad or joyful, take the opportunity to truly experience this moment. The stillness. The mystery of this life. For this, and no other reason, I'm thankful.” If you are not familiar with TOM’s shoes, take a look at their website. He gives a pair of shoes away to a needy child every time they sell a pair of shoes. They have given out more than a million pairs of shoes already! Changing lives one pair at a time. Not bad for a 30-something guy from Arlington, Texas!

Happiness and peace of mind does not need to be elusive. Enjoy a still moment. Revel in the people and places around you. No matter what is going on in the circus that is your life, we all have something to be thankful for; even if it is just breathing another day. And for all the runners and triathlete’s who follow my blog, we should all be thankful for the ability to enjoy our sports activities. Always answer the question, “Why do you run?” with the answer, “Because I am blessed that I can!”

Happy Thanksgiving to all! Run happy!

No comments: