Sunday, August 21, 2011

John J. Kelley, May He Rest in Peace

My heart is saddened by the passing of John J. Kelley, the first true marathon champion who influenced my life. I remember many cold mornings in Mystic, Conn. Sharing soup after a freezing penguin run from Kelley’s Pace, the store he ran after his retirement. He was an amazing man and a true mentor to high school and college students in the area.

I grew up in Ashaway, Rhode Island, just over the Connecticut border. He was a coach to everyone, not just the kids on his team. His store was the closest true running store in the area. I always wondered as a young tenn how he made any money since he chatted with everyone for hours at end. Turns out, he never did. The store was just an outlet for his passion. He always had a New Years party that included a run and a dip in the Atlantic Ocean for the crazy! Many years I joined in during high school.

He died on Sunday in North Stonington, Conn, just a few miles from my hometown. He was 80. I probably saw John for the last time in 2002 at the Boston Marathon. My last conversation was in 1986, just before I graduated from high school and ran away from my little rural hometown as fast as I could. I only wish more young people could’ve been touched by Mr. Kelley. I remember most a day in his store when he told me that I could do anything I put my mind to as long as I developed pain tolerance! He was quite the man!

John J. Kelley will be missed.

No comments: