Thursday, August 11, 2011

Really? Invisible Shoes For Running

I received a really neat package in the mail that included two pairs of “Invisible Shoes”, sent to me by the folks at Invisibleshoe.com to try out. My first thought was, “This is crazy!”, but as most of my readers know, I will try anything once! I have in the last few years embraced minimalism and have transitioned many of my more elite patients to a more midfoot striking natural running style in minimalist shoes. This is only about 15% of my patients, while the rest still need the control of an orthotic due to foot abnormalities and old injuries. (Yes, I know the debate continues on these issues, stop sending hate mail!)

I currently run in the Saucony Kinvara and wear the Saucony Hattori for walking and gym workouts. I am curious to see how the “Invisible Shoe” compares to the Hattori. I am still not a fan of totally barefoot due to the concrete jungle we live in and I have never liked the Vibram Five Fingers; but mostly because so many of my patients have hurt themselves in them and the shoving my toes apart thing I personally find totally annoying. I use my pair of Vibrams for open water swimming. They protect my feet from rocks in the lake!

A little over view for those trying to figure out what I am talking about. There is no other shoe in the minimalist footwear industry as truly minimalist as the huarache. Think a piece of rubber on your foot is as close to barefoot as it gets. Your feet are free to move in the most natural way with no fabric upper to impede or constrict foot movement in any way. Yes, on the surface I still was thinking this is nuts!

The “How to Make Your Invisible Shoes” directions on the website were easy to understand, but took a little longer than expected to put together. A punch tool was needed but I didn’t have one so we improvised.
All my sarcasm and initial reservations about comfort, fit, or suitability for running were muted after my first few walks and my first run in them, which was interesting. They give you a truly free feeling while running, but the thicker ones were better on the pavement.

My verdict on the “Invisible Shoes” is this. They are a great tool to mix into your running training to strengthen your feet, but definitely not an every day shoe for me. I like the little more cushion of the Hattori better and feel more stable in them. As I sprinkle the “Invisible Shoes” into my training just a little more I will update my thoughts going forward.

Best advice is to sprinkle them in your training. Start with walking for a half mile or so then increase by about 10% each time you wear them. Walk around in them for at least 2 weeks prior to even trying to run in them. Take is easy! No more than 200 yards running the first day and, again, increase by no more than 10% each time.


If it hurts or feels overly tired, STOP! Take it back a notch. Overuse injuries can still occur with minimalist shoes if you progress too quickly. Just like every minimalist shoe, it takes time to strengthen your feet and get used to them. Do the exercises I prescribe to strengthen your feet for barefoot running. Focus on your form and build up SLOWLY.

Thumbs up to the “Invisible Shoes” but they should carry a warning label that warns against “too much, too soon, too fast” syndrome!

No comments: