Monday, October 3, 2011

Poconos 70.3 A Perfect Storm…and 68.1 Really!

Crazy Weekend! Wet, Rainy, Cold, Hilly and the most ridiculous course I’ve ever ridden! Let’s be serious. The weather was awful! I had picked a race in the Northeast because I was sick and tired of feeling like I was running on the face of the sun! God has a sense of humor. I was thinking it would be a balmy 65 degrees or so and warm up to 70? No, how about 41 at the start that warms up to 55! Did I mention the rain? Yes, it rained for something like a week before the race so the river was so high we couldn’t swim.

The Delaware River Gap was 7 feet above its banks and had so much debris they were worried one of us would get killed. I get that. Honestly, I was a little miffed until I went down to the river and saw how high and how fast the current was flowing. Then I was glad we weren’t swimming. It was scary looking!

So we started with the bike. Hmmm…how do you get 2,000 people on a bike course without killing themselves in a mass start? Time trial start…sorta. They started the pros with 30 second intervals at 7:25am….yes, a little late. The rain and clouds made it a little dark at 7am. Then they started with the age groupers at 3 second intervals…really! So much for no drafting. We were all bunched up on wet roads that were absolutely scary at times. The first half of the bike course was all bunched up and very, very hilly, with a lot of scary turns. Lots of crashing! At one point I was going 34 miles an hour down a hill and watched the guy in front of me wipe out on the turn. At that point I hit the brakes and thought perhaps a slower ride was the better side of valor. The hills were unrelentless. At 50 miles, there was a 5% grade after turning a corner. I did something I have never done since grammar school. After watching one guy fall off the hill with his bike (no time to unclip), I got off and walked the hill! I was embarrassed until I saw about 10 people after me do the same thing! This course was crazy, sick hilly!

Into T2 I went with completely screaming quads! I put my running shoes on and took off only to find that my legs were dead! Really dead! I jogged a few miles and they seemed to warm up, but then I hit someone’s version of a joke! Crazy, rolling hills on the run. All kidding aside, they were nothing like the hills on the bike, but we were all bitching and moaning. I saw more people walking than any race I have ever run. I pathetically jogged into the finish. Happy to be done. Freezing! Crazy, cold, rainy weather plus sick course makes for a miserable day. Whatever doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.

Perhaps I should venture down to the Longhorn 70.3 in three weeks in Austin and kick some butt, because honestly the Poconos 70.3 kicked my butt! Happy to be alive and smiling! Time was pathetic but I finished. The older you get, the more that matters than the watch!

No comments: